I know it has been a while since I posted but I felt compelled today. I read an article about a 23 year old girl getting shot and killed on her way to work in my old neighborhood. All indications appear to be a domestic dispute. What bothers me the most is I mentioned this article and someone replied “she deserved it”. Really? Are we so desensitized to violence as a culture that without any facts people make these vast generalizations? All the comments on the newspaper website ask what color she was. Does it matter? Is her life worth a different price based on her skin color or genetics? We as a society need to do something to educate this new generation about the real dangers of guns, violence and gangs. I fear sending my children to school, I have no idea what they will be “learning”. As of right now I am going to start saving as much money as I can to shore up some money for a private school. I would rather my kids be sheltered and safe than at a public school surrounded by thugs. I can teach them about the realities of life by simply reading the news to them. When they are old enough I plan to take them to shelters to volunteer. I am tired of people having no empathy and compassion anymore. We as parents need to teach our children proper behavior. Even if you are not a parent I am sure you have some young people in your life you can teach this to. People be an example of how to act! Stop treating people like they don’t matter. Be sure that your children hear you thanking ANYONE who helps you no matter what their position in life. Please and thank you are terms that your children should be well acquainted with.
Please do your part and influence a child, if everyone mentored even one child we would not be such a reckless, expendable society. We all have worth, let’s make sure our children feel worthy.
http://www.bbbs.org/site/c.diJKKYPLJvH/b.1539751/k.BDB6/Home.htm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You could also homeschool. I did until my eldest was going into 5th grade then started sending them all to a regional Catholic school, which is cheaper than a parish school because several parishes contribute to keep it running. They still get brainwashed with the current political stuff that is going on in public school but not as badly and the teachers impart Biblical morals.
ReplyDeletewe have limited options here for Catholic schools and only 1 HS that costs as much as college (well more than our CC college). I am thinking of sending them to a private school and in HS they can go to a magnate school. We have a few of those.
ReplyDelete